by Andrea Mykrantz, CVT
 

Mushrooms are currently running rampant in our yards. Reason being, the best time for them to grow is after a dry spell, followed by a lot of rain and very humid temperatures. Doesn’t that sound familiar to all Central Ohioans?!! The fungi grow very quickly and it’s important to scout your yard each morning before letting your dogs out for their morning potty trip. Many dogs find mushrooms irresistible and gobble them up without a second thought. Though, I don’t know many dogs that offer a second thought on any subject, much less any thoughts when eating stuff. I believe the dog’s motto is: Eat it first, ask questions later. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Some mushrooms are edible but others can cause problems and unless you are a mycologist why take a chance trying to choose which ones are safe? Probably the most toxic mushroom that grows in these parts is the Amanita bisporigera also known as the Destroying Angel. It is a plain white, conspicuous looking mushroom and can be easily confused with a Meadow Mushroom, which is edible. However, should you or your dog consume this mushroom symptoms of toxicosis can begin in as few as five hours. Symptoms include vomiting, cramping, diarrhea, delirium and convulsions and as little as half of a mushroom cap can cause death if the patient is not treated quickly enough. Kidney and liver failure quickly follows the initial symptoms and death occurs within just a few days. This is why it is so important to seek medical attention right away if you suspect your dog may have eaten any mushrooms.

Mushrooms and dogs
Destroying Angel
Image obtained from Wikipedia

Please be vigilant and if you think your pet has eaten any mushrooms please seek medical help right away! If your veterinarian is not open don’t wait, go to your nearest Emergency Veterinarian for treatment. It’s better to be safe than sorry!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.